+ Reply to Thread
Page 161 of 391 FirstFirst ... 61 111 151 159 160 161 162 163 171 211 261 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 3906

Thread: Vintage Oval Track Modifieds...

Plainville

#711 Bob Polverari and #000 Gary Membrino
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jgallant View Post
    I was there the night of the Mert Hulbert crash. This is what I saw from the crash. On lap 06,Tommy Corellis #57, came into the pits with a flat tire. Tommy Corellis attempted to re-enter the race track along the backchute on lap 07. Tommy Corellis struck the Walt Schutt's #35 car, sending it into the north track wall and billboard. Walt Schutt's car returned to the racetrack and was struck by four more cars. The car erupted into flames. The chassis, roll bar, and fuel cell was all that was left of Schutt's car. Everything from the firewall forwards was gone.Walt Schutt was pronouned dead at the hospital in Albany. Also involved in the crash was Mike Ehring #18, was taken to Albany hospital with a broken collar bone, a broken ankle and a broken back. Mert Hulbert #2H, when in the air as high as the backchute billboard and landed hard on the track. He also was taken to the Albany hospital with a broken jaw. This happened during the 35-lap Modified feature. The feature was red flagged and rescheduled for August 30, 1980. Mert Hulbert started 8th, Mike Ehring started 11th, and Walt Schutt started 19th. This happened on Saturday, August 23,1980.
    If I recall from reading news reports,weren't legal proceedings brought against Correllis. I know he wasn't supposed to exit the pits on the back straightaway.

ALSO: Are you part of the Gallant family that lived on RT 43 next door to the Hill's between East View Rd and the high school. If so, I delivered the afternoon newspaper to Sid and his wife for many years. I think his mother lived in the house next door. They were super nice folks. Always gave me a tip. They had a son Steve who was my age or younger. Same mold as his folks. Super nice guy. If I recall, Steve passed a few years ago. I think Steve was a loyal Donnie Ackner and LV fan and hung out at my buddy Stevie Wicks garage off RT 150 just outside W. Sand Lake. All good stuff to remember. I haven't been up there in 15 or so years. I'm sure things have changed a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by mikepa View Post
    #711 Bob Polverari and #000 Gary Membrino
    Thanks for the pics.

My opinion, but Gremlin bodies never looked good as asphalt mods but did as dirt mods. Vegas looked good as both.

This is a dirt modified I've owned for 16 years--my first race car. It is a Tom Pogo chassis, upgraded in the late 80's to torsion bars, 377 Chevy powered. It was raced in Wisconsin for many years before retiring to a life of vintage oval events in Colorado.17 I-76 07.jpg#1 I-76 April 17 2011.jpg17 I-76 07.jpg#1 I-76 April 17 2011.jpg

Sorry about the double picture post!

First of all I would like to say thanks to everyone who posted these great Mod pictures. This site as well as H.A.M.B. take me back to the greatest time of my life. My question is does anyone have any pictures from Shangri-la, Five mile pt.,or Penn can? I spent every weekend in the 70's,80's, and early 90's at these tracks. If I knew then what I know now I would have taken better care of the pictures I took with my Kodak 110 instamatic. Again Thanks for the memories!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ghubrex View Post
    This is a dirt modified I've owned for 16 years--my first race car. It is a Tom Pogo chassis, upgraded in the late 80's to torsion bars, 377 Chevy powered. It was raced in Wisconsin for many years before retiring to a life of vintage oval events in Colorado.Attachment 3929Attachment 3928Attachment 3929Attachment 3928
    This is a beutiful car I love it. About ten years ago Me and a friend went to Tri City Speedway in east St Louis for a UMP late model race and they had a so called super modified race as a filler but they were just coil over cars with big wings and tires. A guy showed up with an old early 60's era Edmunds 4 inch single tube framed rear torsion front buggie spring straight axle super with Hilborn injected 327 that the corrosion was still on the injectors and the finned valve covers. It had skinny six inch front tires and a huge humper right rear. They all laughed at him until he set fast time and started on the pole and led all but the last half lap of the 30 lap feature. He would have won but the winged cars finally packed the track enough on the bottom so the wings would be an advantage. He ran the top on the cushion the whole race and never was straight from the drop of the green flag. He was just less sideways down the straight. It was a sight to behold. The winner had to feel bad because after the race nobody was around his car. Every one wanted to see the antique that made the latest and greatest look bad. Allstarracing

No I'm not from West Sand Lake. I live in Greenport with my family. My parents still live in Stuyvesant. My father used to take pictures at the Valley along with Matt Buda. He has a huge collection of photos. He now shoots at Glen Ridge, Fonda, and Accord. I was only 16 years of age on the faithful night of August 23,1980.

Corellis had hit Walt Schutt in the side, spinning him around. Corellis went out the backgate, when the green flag was displayed. The full field of modifieds came off turn two at full speed and hit Walt Schutt head on. His car ended up in turn three. I can remember this event like it was yesterday.

Hey guys Check out the Beech Ridge race track site or New Hampshire International Speedway site you all might know about it already but N.H.I.S is planning on building a very large east coast stock car museum at the front of the track property Scheduled completion 2015 I couldn't make a link work I'm not very good with them .
    Leon

Richie Evans Pinto

Found this cool Richie Evans Pic, By Bob Clark, & thought It deserved to be here for all to see... Richie Evans Memorial 2009 (Bob Clark Photo).jpg

+ Reply to Thread