+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 397 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 70 120 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Oval Track Modifieds...

Plainville Stadium Reunion will be tomorrow at the Berlin, CT fairgrounds from 10AM to 4PM. Many former drivers, owners, mechanics, photographers, and fans will be in attendance. The weather will be sunny and warm and a big turnout is expected. Everyone is welcome. There will be old racing movies, autograph sessions, bull sessions, kart racing (with the old timers driving), food and race cars there. Come early and stay late. Some set-up photos below from Friday afternoon.

DBA
    David Gray. New member. Live in near Kansas City, Missouri. Grew up in Delaware and a fan of racing, but especially dirt tracks. Grew up around Delmar (DIS), Georgetown, and Bridgeport. Now go to Lakeside, I35 and Knoxville. Found out about the site thru 3wides web site. Love the pictures and reliving the good ole days. I have not been to many asphalt modified raced, but many years ago I saw them run at Dover Downs.

Russ McLean Riverside Park
    Attached Images

My uncle, Billy Kimel, at Bowman Gray Stadium in 1983. This is an Evans car that Richie had run the year before.
    Attached Images

This is the front page of the Winston Salem Journal the day after Richie Evans was killed. My uncle had gotten to know Richie after buying a car from him and was pitted next to him that fateful day at Martinsville. He was on his trailer during this particular practice session and was watching Richie when he crashed. I have never seen this picture reproduced anywhere.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by traveller65 View Post
    My uncle, Billy Kimel, at Bowman Gray Stadium in 1983. This is an Evans car that Richie had run the year before.

Yep, lettered that one too, before Grover Shugart went to a black car for Billy that had chrome partial vinyl numbers
    Paint is for race cars & hot rods, vinyl is for floors!

Airman
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoera View Post
    Plainville Stadium Reunion will be tomorrow at the Berlin, CT fairgrounds from 10AM to 4PM. Many former drivers, owners, mechanics, photographers, and fans will be in attendance. The weather will be sunny and warm and a big turnout is expected. Everyone is welcome. There will be old racing movies, autograph sessions, bull sessions, kart racing (with the old timers driving), food and race cars there. Come early and stay late. Some set-up photos below from Friday afternoon.

I went to this reunion today!! Took a lot of pictures. Talked to Joe Joe Farone. Missed Denny Zimmerman, must have left early. I'll post some pics later.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by s10ace; 10-11-2011 at 01:47 AM. Reason: added pics

Harold, do you have any idea how many racecars you have lettered over the years?

DBA
    Hello Dogfighters, Im 49, Born and always lived here in N.C., Srarted going to races at around the age of 7 yrs waching my uncle race a 1935 chevy coach modified on dirt at Caraway Speedway in Asheboro N.C., Used to run to the gate to get to ride around the track after he won a race, Back then they would let you do that, After modifieds he ran Late Models at different tracks in N.C. and some in Virginia, In the late 80s and early 90s I ran Baby Grand Stocks at Caraway Speedway, It had changed to asphalt by the time I started racing. Really enjoy this site seeing all the old photos and hearing all the stories..

Quote Originally Posted by traveller65 View Post
    Harold, do you have any idea how many racecars you have lettered over the years?
    Not really, but I did keep count in 1982. Including stadium cars, 311 dirt cars, drag cars, mud racers, I lettered 92 between the first of the year and July 4th after racing season for most disciplines had really got underway and things calmed down. That doesn't count any of the go carts parts, helmets and go kart trailers. I've still go my picture book that I stopped adding pictures to sometime around 1984.
    Paint is for race cars & hot rods, vinyl is for floors!

+ Reply to Thread