+ Reply to Thread
Page 261 of 407 FirstFirst ... 161 211 251 259 260 261 262 263 271 311 361 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,610 of 4066

Thread: Vintage Oval Track Modifieds...

Riverside

#24 Charlie Centinaro, #1 Gig Smith, and #124 Bobby Bard.
    Attached Images

Airman
    A quick question for the north east guys. I noticed a lot of cars with 3 digit numbers. I bet this was a hand full for the scorers as these cars were very fast. Can anybody tell me was it a fad?? just owner preference?? Sponsors?? Or maybe that the 3 digit numbers had a flow that made the paints jobs look even better to the eye.. Any answer would be well recieved.. Thank You.. Bobby..

K9, Good question but I don't have an answer. Bet someone will though. Denny Z.

K9 Sal Dee's Flying 70 was first ran as the 170 which was the addrest # of the garage he and his brother ran and still doing business. I remember a lot of car ran three digits at West Haven ( the Rock ) and the Park allways though it was kool...

Quote Originally Posted by k9racer View Post
    A quick question for the north east guys. I noticed a lot of cars with 3 digit numbers. I bet this was a hand full for the scorers as these cars were very fast. Can anybody tell me was it a fad?? just owner preference?? Sponsors?? Or maybe that the 3 digit numbers had a flow that made the paints jobs look even better to the eye.. Any answer would be well recieved.. Thank You.. Bobby..
    k9racer, my guess is that some of the 3-digit numbers came about because many tracks wouldn't allow duplicate numbers, so the owners would choose a unique number they could run anywhere, with little chance they would have to change their number. BTW, the 3-digit number isn't exclusive to the Northeast cars. I can remember when a couple guys from down your way ran 3-digit numbers: #312 Bobby Allison and #F97 Red Farmer.
    Last edited by aintgotime4this; 01-22-2013 at 12:18 AM.

K9,

There were a lot of the 3-digit numbers at the "Park", the 123 & 124 "Dodge Boys" cars immediately come to mind.

Speaking of different numbering in the northeast, don't forget the %, the "cent", the $, the "crown 7", the U-2 (Universal Salvage sponsorship), M-6, PT-73, and the CraZ8 just to name a few.

Those were the days!!!

ParkFan

How about Riiska's "Yellow X", Harold Montanye's "Flying M", Nolan Swift"s "10 Pins", The "AAA" DD Harris, "S/360" Don Diffendorf, "10-10" Cliff Kotary, "M3" Bobby Leach, "V8" Bill Slater, "Y" Butch Jelley, "D22" Johnny VanLeuvan, "RU21" Link Pettit, Pop Green's "3 1/7" Hudson, The "L&R" and the "Circle J" of Don MacTavish, The "Sweet 16" of Herbie Tillman...........
    Last edited by aintgotime4this; 01-21-2013 at 11:46 PM.

The Czepiel #888 driven by Rene Charland, Danny Galullo et al.was numbered after the address of the Czepiel (Amoco?) station on #888 Riverdale Rd. in West Springfield Mass. Anybody know if it's still there?

The Amoco station has been gone for many many years, I think there is a Verizon store on the property now.

Quote Originally Posted by aintgotime4this View Post
    How about Riiska's "Yellow X", Harold Montanye's "Flying M", Nolan Swift"s "10 Pins", The "AAA" DD Harris, "S/360" Don Diffendorf, "10-10" Cliff Kotary, "M3" Bobby Leach, "V8" Bill Slater, "Y" Butch Jelley, "D22" Johnny VanLeuvan, "RU21" Link Pettit, Pop Green's "3 1/7" Hudson, The "L&R" and the "Circle J" of Don MacTavish.......
    Also, the X of Ron Schwendenmann, the X3 of Jim Hendrickson, the X9 of George Wagner, the T5 wagon of Tom Dunn, and of course the L&M cars and their offshoots at Waterford.

+ Reply to Thread