+ Reply to Thread
Page 368 of 431 FirstFirst ... 268 318 358 366 367 368 369 370 378 418 ... LastLast
Results 3,671 to 3,680 of 4304

Thread: Vintage Oval Track Modifieds...

I recall seeing Jack Johnson in a photo with a #900 painted with fancy graphics. Could this be the same car in a later date?

No, when we came home from Langhorne the car was sold to Tom Remmington of Warrensburg, NY. His # was 54.
    Then Don started building the deal for the Comet he ran in Daytona.

Quote Originally Posted by z-man View Post
    I recall seeing Jack Johnson in a photo with a #900 painted with fancy graphics. Could this be the same car in a later date?
    Last edited by L & R 1; 02-18-2014 at 01:13 PM.

L&R Speed Shop Modifieds

Quote Originally Posted by z-man View Post
    OK, since we can get the story "Straight from the horses mouth", why not get the story first hand ? Attached are 3 photos, two posted previously on Dave Dykes' http://racingthroughtime.com/, the third found on a Facebook page.....
    Attached Images

Only the middle car was a car built and owned at L & R Speed that I recall. When Eddy drove the 302 it would have been before or after the time Roland worked for my dad. I think it was before because if I can remember right Eddie drove the % sign car that Johnny Styger worked on with him with in 1966, then the cent sign in 1967, and then I think Eddie started driving the famous 2x. When he was staying at our motel in 1965, 66, & 67 these were the cars I remember him driving. We could of ran our own features at the shop on Fridays after Catamount, Saturday's after Albany Saratoga Speedway, and a smaller field on Sunday's as we had the likes of MacTavish, Pete Hamilton, Eddie Flemke, Ronnie Narducci, Bugsy Stevens, Dick Clarks Cars, Hank Stevens, Russ Betz's 59, Charland, all
    working on there cars around the yard at the shop & motel. I forgot to add Bobby Santos in the Art Barry 09. Story time was so much fun as a little kid. Eddie would always hold court and most gathered around. Bugsy was the prankster, Pete wouldn't have said s**t if he had a mouth full, Don was really quite believe it or not, and the Hedger brothers with Dick Clark worked their tails off. Jack Johnson NEVER drove an L & R owned car, but did drive the Eddie Delmolino IV dirt modified I built him that he ran in 1979 at Lebanon and finished 3rd in a 100 lapper. Most of the guys around the shop at that time were really fun to be around. Really other than Charland they all were. Rene probably was to, sometimes personalities just don't mix and him and I didn't play well together. I was treated by Don as if I were his little brother from the first time we met in 1965 and Rene I felt never showed Don any respect. Just a little kids perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by aintgotime4this View Post
    OK, since we can get the story "Straight from the horses mouth", why not get the story first hand ? Attached are 3 photos, two posted previously on Dave Dykes' http://racingthroughtime.com/, the third found on a Facebook page.....
    Last edited by L & R 1; 02-18-2014 at 02:40 PM.

Jack Johnson-Delmolino IV

Steve, here's another photo of a car you mentioned. Facebook-Credits unknown. I want to thank you for the time you've spent answering the questions which have been posted here.

Added a second photo. Credits unknown.
    Attached Images

DBA
    Quote Originally Posted by L & R 1 View Post
    Only the middle car was a car built and owned at L & R Speed that I recall. When Eddy drove the 302 it would have been before or after the time Roland worked for my dad. I think it was before because if I can remember right Eddie drove the % sign car that Johnny Styger worked on with him with in 1966, then the cent sign in 1967, and then I think Eddie started driving the famous 2x. When he was staying at our motel in 1965, 66, & 67 these were the cars I remember him driving. We could of ran our own features at the shop on Fridays after Catamount, Saturday's after Albany Saratoga Speedway, and a smaller field on Sunday's as we had the likes of MacTavish, Pete Hamilton, Eddie Flemke, Ronnie Narducci, Bugsy Stevens, Dick Clarks Cars, Hank Stevens, Russ Betz's 59, Charland, all
    working on there cars around the yard at the shop & motel. I forgot to add Bobby Santos in the Art Barry 09. Story time was so much fun as a little kid. Eddie would always hold court and most gathered around. Bugsy was the prankster, Pete wouldn't have said s**t if he had a mouth full, Don was really quite believe it or not, and the Hedger brothers with Dick Clark worked their tails off. Jack Johnson NEVER drove an L & R owned car, but did drive the Eddie Delmolino IV dirt modified I built him that he ran in 1979 at Lebanon and finished 3rd in a 100 lapper. Most of the guys around the shop at that time were really fun to be around. Really other than Charland they all were. Rene probably was to, sometimes personalities just don't mix and him and I didn't play well together. I was treated by Don as if I were his little brother from the first time we met in 1965 and Rene I felt never showed Don any respect. Just a little kids perspective.
    Thank you for the fascinating anecdotes.

A minor emendation, if I may: As you say, Ed Flemke drove the "%" in 1966. The "Cent Sign", however, preceded the "%". He ran the "Cent Sign" from mid-'64 to early '66. He ran the entire '67 season in the Judkins 2x.

Thanks, tried to remember as best that I could, between Cent sign, % sign, & $ sign. At least they were thinking about money..!! Somewhere in there Hank Stevens drove the Johnny Styger $ sign, can't remember the year. Both real nice guys.

Quote Originally Posted by New Britain View Post
    Thank you for the fascinating anecdotes.

A minor emendation, if I may: As you say, Ed Flemke drove the "%" in 1966. The "Cent Sign", however, preceded the "%". He ran the "Cent Sign" from mid-'64 to early '66. He ran the entire '67 season in the Judkins 2x.

That particular IV car was a Tobias car that Delmolino ran in 1978, He was very successful with it. I built the IV car he ran in 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by aintgotime4this View Post
    Steve, here's another photo of a car you mentioned. Facebook-Credits unknown. I want to thank you for the time you've spent answering the questions which have been posted here.

Added a second photo. Credits unknown.

Something I noticed on the L&R cars, both SBC and BBC powered. Unless I'm looking wrong, It appears inside the frame rail headers were used.

That had to be a tough packaging task. I remember the L&R car at Malta. It was a RUNNER!!

As for Charland, I think Shoemaker thought the same way. I still remember the red glow of his cigar when he'd come off turn 4 at Malta.

Do you remember if ya' ran gas or alky with the injection?

Open Book Test Failure

OK, it's now time to admit that I failed the "Open Book Test". I had posted several photos of a driver of the #9 Late Model of Gordon Ross at Riverside Park. I did not recognize the driver in the photos and posted them here looking for the ID. This week, posted on Dave Dykes' RacingThroughTime, is this photo of Dick Dixon; http://racingthroughtime.com/images/...can%20WTFD.jpg. Turns out that same photo is a part of the Ginny Ross Collection, but I didn't make the connection. Compare the photos. What do you think - same driver ?? Oy !!

Since it has been suggested that the driver pictured with the Ross #9 is Paul Pettit, I did a search of the name and was able to find a single photo, which had been posted on the HAMB. I have attached that photo below.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by aintgotime4this; 02-19-2014 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Add Paul Pettit photo.

+ Reply to Thread