+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: All About Kellison Sports GT Fiberglass cars of 1958-1968

"While the Devin body was a Ferrari knock-off"...

I thought it was based on a vintage Stanguelini, untill I posted that on the HAMB, and I got corrected.

Turns out the original Devin molds were taken from a Etceterni.

482.jpg

Devin inspiration

Metalshapes: Kellison history is complicated enough and I'm way over my head when it comes to Italian designers but it's funny you bring up Devin because I was just talking to a friend today who's repairing a crashed Devin SS. It's the same blue #58 pictured on page 4 of Alex Yohnk's cool 50's Fiberglass thread. I was noticing the Kellison similarities and he told me Bill Devin pulled the mold from an Ermini. So I checked it out tonight and you might find the following sites interesting...

Ermini on the left, Devin SS on the right

http://ferrariexperts.com/ermini.htm

..."In 1949 Ermini began building complete cars, with his 1100 DOHC engine, the chassis by Gilco and the bodywork by Tofani. The early 1950's saw the Ermini 1100 as the car (or engine for those who chose to fit it to different chassis') to have. Tofani were unable to meet the demand, and so Motto and Morelli were used to produce the bodies. In 1953 Ermini introduced a new engine. Still a DOHC 1100 it now had an aluminium block and five main-bearing crankshaft. Around 20 engines were built and were fitted to cars by Ermini themselves with a bodies designed by Gilco, Scaglietti, Morelli and Frua (designed by Michelotti). American Bill Devin used a mold off the Ermini as the form for his famous Devin bodies".

http://www.classicsportscars.com/Main_Ravana.htm

"According to an article in the Mar/Apr 1991 issue of Vintage Motorsport Magazine, Bill Devin told the author, John Paulding that he pulled some 'splashes' off of an Ermini, which was made by Pasquino Ermini which was basically a scaled down version of a Scaglietti designed Ferrari two-seater. This car was also known as a Ferrari Monza."

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1957-devin-ss.htm

"Devin teamed with Irish chassis engineer Malcolm MacGregor for a series of high-performance sports cars sold both as kits and fully assembled. The mold for the fiberglass body was pulled from an aluminum Scaglietti design for a single-seater Ferrari that had been adapted as a two-seater sports car on an Ermini (Fiat) 1,100 chassis."

The photo you show is identified as a 1955 Ermini on this website:
    http://imcdb.org/vehicle_28482-Ermini-357-1955.html

Maybe you can figure out these Italian connections better than I but it sounds like one would be correct in saying the Devin was influenced by both Ermini and Ferrari. Then again there were other Devin models which were probably lifted from other existing shapes and considering that good designers at the time worked for multiple auto companies, my head spins the more I read.

Now back to Kellison...
    Last edited by BOMONSTER; 07-24-2010 at 02:57 PM.
    Get Your Signed Prints & Original Scratchboard Masterpieces Here While They Last!

Kellison as art

I like this painting by Dave Lucas (who is also working on his own Kellison J-4 project).

Get Your Signed Prints & Original Scratchboard Masterpieces Here While They Last!

Scratchin out Kellisons

And a couple of my own scratchboard scratches...

"Why I love my wife" (No my beautiful wife doesn't actually get out the shop vac and clean up after me in the garage, but she's pretty good about me stinkin' up the place with the eye-watering stench of fiberglass resin aroma.)

"Kellison Killin' Time"

I would love to have one.

I wonder if they ever sold any to Europe?
    Attached Images

Was there anything meaner looking than a Kellison coupe? And as a Healey guy, they also made fastbacks for the Healeys:

Rick
    "A madman in a death machine"

Follow my SBF Austin-Healey build: http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264

Quote Originally Posted by BOMONSTER View Post
    And a couple of my own scratchboard scratches...

"Why I love my wife" (No my beautiful wife doesn't actually get out the shop vac and clean up after me in the garage, but she's pretty good about me stinkin' up the place with the eye-watering stench of fiberglass resin aroma.)

"Kellison Killin' Time"

Those are incredible.

Hi Bomonster

A cool thread with some nice new pictures for me ... I own a Kellison J5 actually the black one which pictures are in the tread.
    I am located in Europe and there a few guys here also with Kellisons !

Originally I am from Austria but live now in Germany and I own the car since 2002 ut actually hardly every drove it but thtas a loong story however this changes now :-) :-)

here is a nice pic I took last year you see the disign is still up to date you can bed noone was interested in the red porsche ......
    DSC00543.jpg

for everyone interested in Kellisons chek out

www.kellisoncars.com

Very good source with tonns of pics !!
    Last edited by kellison61; 07-27-2010 at 08:12 PM.

Had a line on a Devin that fell through this spring...................always really wanted a Kellison! So swoopy.

DBA
    One of those is high on my "really would like to have it in my garage" list.

I chased a body shell here locally about 25 years ago but it had sat out in the elements for so long there wasn't enough of it to even think about using.

+ Reply to Thread