+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: All About Kellison Sports GT Fiberglass cars of 1958-1968

I began a Kellison project in 1964 (never finished...) - drove to California from the east coast to pick up the body. I remember that their office had a laid-back California style to it - featuring erotic artwork like Hef might decorate his place with. This car was basically a shell - that's all you got - like building one of those old-days model airplane kits (carve prop spinner from enclosed block of hardwood...) - more than I could handle.

However, a couple of years before that, I was living in New Orleans and saw an ad in the paper for a Kellison - went to look at it, and it was the one in the magazine ads! with the number 905 on it, and I think it had a Pontiac engine. Couldn't afford to buy it, though - $3000 I think he wanted for it...

The Other Kellison Astra in So Cal

There is a registry for Kellison owners and for years there have been only two Kellison Astra owners listed in California. Mine and this guy's - Augie Delgado. Imagine my surprise when I ran into Augie and his Kellison at the L.A. roadster Show this summer. He was wearing one of my art shirts when I ran into him and he said "You gotta see my car!" He walked me to it and I flipped out. Mine is lovely shade of primer with a lot more work to be done. His is done - although Augie continues to play.

The first thing he does is pop the hood and show me the SBC he recently installed. Augie is really into period correct engine parts and up top he had this vintage Moon intake manifold with 4 working side draft carbs. I loved the blue headers.

The interior was all-business. Aluminum floors, Hurst 5-speed, vintage Moon pedals, Cobra seats, simple, clean gauges.

The paint and scallops were very much influenced by a previously published Steve Stanford illustration. A beautiful Daytona Blue with silver scallops. He had painted the American Racing wheels and machined his own Magnesium wheel centers. It is a beautiful car and I suspect exactly what Jim Kellison would have wanted an owner to do to his car - personalize it into one of the most badass looking cars on the road.

I talked with him a few minutes about the car- he had just turned down a guy who wanted to trade him straight across with a Ferrari - and I took these pictures and we both had to get back to the show. But there's nothing more inspiring to make you want to finish your own car than seeing a fine example of a finished one. Thanks Augie.
    Last edited by BOMONSTER; 08-06-2011 at 04:25 AM.
    Get Your Signed Prints & Original Scratchboard Masterpieces Here While They Last!

I just picked up a J6 body

its a little rough around the edges, but I think I can make a great car out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggAz View Post
    I just picked up a J6 body
    Nice...

Wow, congrats!

Very Cool.. like the Bronco too...

+ Reply to Thread