+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BMW European Delivery

Post BMW European Delivery

Hope you all saw my belated post on BMW M-School. http://www.dogfightmag.com/forum/sho...anced-M-School. Well after my wife and I had so much fun driving around the track in South Carolina, we (really I) just had to have an M3.

When I first moved to Austin, I wanted a pick-em-up-truck to haul things around, and found it was super handy. I found myself not enjoying driving as much as I knew I should. We have a 70 lb German Shepherd, so the next car I bought was an Acura RDX (for the dog of course). Hated it, horrendous turbo lag, too high up, no cornering ability, but sort of fast.

When I heard that we could buy an M3 here in the US, get a discount of over 10% off, AND pick up the car in Europe with two weeks of insurance and shipping back to the US included, I thought the deal was too good to be true...it was not. There are a ton of sites on Bimmers to help answer any questions, and I learned most everything from Bimmerpost.

We decided on the M3 sedan, becuz of the practicality, and I preferred the look over the coupe. I read somewhere that there were less that 7,000 sedans made since the current E90 M3 began production in 2008, cool. (Can't find the factual data) We decided on Lemans Blue with most options and black insides. The sedan has a 414hp 4 Liter V8 with 295 ft. lbs of torque. The real dream is the super fast Dual Clutch Transmission ("DCT"). Driving this car thought the alps on the famous Grossglockner road was fantastic.

Our Trip:
    Day1 - We arrived in Munich at 9:30am, and got crack-a-lackin on Oktoberfest by noon, settling up at the Augustiner beer tent with a couple liters of the good stuff and a roasted chicken and fresh pretzel. Oktoberfest is really a treat and mostly local folks enjoying the festival. If I were to go back, I'd definitely invite friends for enjoying beers in the tents. Bring cash.

MMM, the beer was fantastic...ok if you're payin attention, you'll notice that isn't an Augustiner mug, you gotta try a few types of beer fellas

Day 2 - Pick up
    We had an 8:00 appointment to sign up, with ultimate "delivery" at 9:20 sharp. We arrived at the Welt in Munich via train, and checked our bags in at reception. After check in, we signed all of the insurance and forms, and waited in the wonderful lounge for 9:20 to come along. Got some great breakfast, surfed the web, and relaxed a bit. Still not sure why they serve beer before you pick up your car.

We're on the list

Very nice reception

They put the cars on turn-tables that spin your car around...our little M was a bit hidden, but I managed to snap some low level shots, and "fix" my camera's crappy low light abilities with photoshop. I'm still learning. Hey, that license plate number "...1908...is the same as my address growing up, spooky.

We spent about 30-45 minutes learning about the navigation, paring my phone, and going through how to work everything. The navigation on this car is pretty fantastic, and when we plugged in our ipod the music came on the screen instantly...cool. (don't have iphones, but those would sync perfectly too if we had them)

One of the coolest parts of the BMW Welt is the museum. I tried my best to take some low level shots with my crappy camera.
    Wicked

These bikes were just plain bad ass, but you'd never catch me on one

I love the Zach Morris cell phone in the 7 series

This is a 1939 BMW, great styling

got a ride in this
    Last edited by MattStrube; 10-20-2011 at 04:31 AM.

On day two, we headed for Austria's Salzburg after picking up the car; what a great city

First parking job

Great view from top of Salzburg

Found some "relatives" in Austria...I thought we were German?

Family is in sanitation

After leaving Salzburg, we headed up and down the highest Alpine road, the Grossglockner road...stunning, that's all I can say.

But first a little lunch at this cool local spot and a photo shot

The top

Off to Italy to drink some wine and enjoy the lakes, but first we have to navigate extremely narrow roads

A brake for lunch in Bellagio from the stressful Italian drivers and roads

Gotta cross lake Como

After the lakes, we went to drink some wine

After Italy, headed to France to drink some more wine and hang out with some locals

Thought the smoke stacks looked cool

I thought this was an interesting way to pay a toll, just get out

That's a pretty good sample of what we saw...once the trip came to an end in Geneva we washed off the car, and dropped it at the shipping company to be trucked back to Germany, then on a container for its second trip on Water to the good ole US of A.

Matt, Thanks for posting this and letting me live vicariously through you! Great pictures of what looks like the trip of a life time. One day...
    Question for you- Does your M3 have the competition package? I noticed it's got the CSL inspired comp wheels and was curious. Great looking ride! I look forward to seeing it once it gets to Texas.

Airman
    Hmmm... I think I would have skipped the wine country and headed for the Nurburgring. I'm just sayin.

Yep, it has the Comp package. Thanks, it was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by John Joyo View Post
    Matt, Thanks for posting this and letting me live vicariously through you! Great pictures of what looks like the trip of a life time. One day...
    Question for you- Does your M3 have the competition package? I noticed it's got the CSL inspired comp wheels and was curious. Great looking ride! I look forward to seeing it once it gets to Texas.

Next time...

Quote Originally Posted by pwschuh View Post
    Hmmm... I think I would have skipped the wine country and headed for the Nurburgring. I'm just sayin.

VERY cool!!!

What an amazing trip.....very envious! Will probably make selling that car later on very hard though, what a great bonding experience.

Thanks for sharing.

We are picking our new 1 series M up in a couple weeks, and if only this year had gone different we would have done the European delivery.

It looks like you had an amazing trip and I am envious.

Wow , Thanks for sharing .... I never realised you could do something like that !

+ Reply to Thread